Banquet Captain-Hotel Valley Ho
Responsible for the overall execution of a catered function. To provide guests with quality service, while assuming a supervisory role within the F&B service team.
- Be thoroughly familiar with all standards of proper service etiquette and will ensure the banquet staff adheres to these standards throughout guest service. It is the captain’s responsibility to positively motivate and develop the banquet staff, emphasizing efficiency and teamwork with a sincere concern for the needs and expectations of our guests.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the catering menus; ingredients and method of preparation, cooking and dish-up times etc. Works closely with the Banquet Chef and culinary personnel to ensure seamless timing of service. Cultivates a spirit of teamwork between the culinary and service staff.
- Works together with other managers to create good lines of communication with all departments. Supports Hotel Valley Ho guidelines and procedures. Attends and takes an active role in B.E.O. meetings. Is familiar with requisitioning, receiving, rotation and stocking procedures of catering and beverage supplies.
- Is familiar with emergency safety measures including the Heimlich maneuver and fire evacuation procedures. Is knowledgeable regarding local health dept. code, and directs service staff to exercise safe food handling techniques to exceed county health code standards.
- Responsible for signing out keys, and securing all necessary stores as assigned by the Director of F&B.
- Is aware of state liquor laws as well as company and departmental policies regarding the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Must have a strong working knowledge of Opera P.O.S. system in order to create and present clean and correct checks to the guest contact at the conclusion of a function.
- Schedules catering service personnel to ensure proper staffing levels are present to deliver excellent service. Aids and assists wherever needed when catering business warrants it.
- Double-checks the particulars of each event and reviews additional specifics with the Director of F&B, Dir. Of Catering and Conf. Services & Banquet Chef as well as the group contact.
- The Captain will also observe each staff member for timeliness, proper uniform and proper grooming. The Captain has the right and will be expected to remove any staff member from a shift who may be in violation of these standards.
- Ensures proper maintenance, storage and care is exhibited by all employees toward equipment furnished by Hotel Valley Ho.
- Conducts pre-service meetings. Explains the nature of the group (in-house, local etc.), specific timing details, whether there will be a presentation or awards ceremony and how this may affect service flow. Is prepared to answer questions from the staff in regards to the function.
- Assigns all tables and set-up duties, who is tray passing hors d’oeuvres or serving cocktails. Assembles teams and will assign servers and runners according to pairings.
- Assists with the service of the function, setting the pace of service and ensures staff is adhering to all Hotel Valley Ho standards of service.
- May be required to assist in room set-up and breakdown.
- Must be able to lift heavy tables up to 70 lbs. and drive a van.
- Responsible for ordering, receiving and the storage of all banquet linen. Ensures that guest requests are addressed in a professional, timely manner.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Director of F&B or the Director of Catering and Conference Services.
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Must be in good physical condition; able to lift 100 lbs., carry 50 lbs., and quickly transport heavy oval trays. Required to work on their feet for long periods of time, and work quickly and efficiently through service.
- Must have previous catering experience. Is knowledgeable regarding food, beverage and catering service techniques. Takes a tremendous amount of pride in their department and property; is detail oriented.
- Displays leadership qualities; able to manage, train and motivate people.
- Must have good communication skills. Possesses a pleasant personality to effectively deal with guest question and service.
- Must be responsible, insightful, organized, self-motivated and able to work flexible schedules.
- Company will provide employee with a tie, tie clip and apron. Employee is responsible for keeping uniform neat and clean.
- Employee will provide white button up shirt, tan pants, and black shoes.
County Legal Requirements:
- Must possess a valid Maricopa County Health Dept. Food Handlers card to be kept on file in Human Resources.
- Must have completed County & State Liquor training