Benchmark’s company culture is central to our management philosophy. The company’s stated purpose is "to provide an entrepreneurial environment where determined people dare to create, share, and build futures.
To be the "benchmark" by which all others are judged takes passion, courage, and dedication. We invite you to explore our extraordinary offering of unique opportunities, all with a common goal of providing an unforgettable journey.
Job Description Summary:This position contributes to Hotel Valley Ho’s success by providing guests with high quality, food and beverage service. Responsible for the overall execution of a catered function, providing guest with quality service, while assuming a supervisory role.
- Be thoroughly familiar with all standards of proper service etiquette and will ensure the banquet staff adheres to these standards throughout guest service. It is the captain’s responsibility to positively motivate and develop the banquet staff, emphasizing efficiency and teamwork with a sincere concern for the needs and expectations of our guests.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the catering menus; ingredients and method of preparation, cooking and dish-up times etc. Works closely with the Banquet Chef and culinary personnel to ensure seamless timing of service. Cultivates a spirit of teamwork between the culinary and service staff.
- Works together with other managers to create good lines of communication with all departments. Supports Hotel Valley Ho guidelines and procedures. Attends and takes an active role in B.E.O. meetings. Is familiar with requisitioning, receiving, rotation and stocking procedures of catering and beverage supplies.
- Is familiar with emergency safety measures including the Heimlich maneuver and fire evacuation procedures. Is knowledgeable regarding local health dept. code, and directs service staff to exercise safe food handling techniques to exceed county health code standards.
- Responsible for signing out keys, and securing all necessary stores as assigned by the Director of F&B. and Banquet Director.
- Is aware of state liquor laws as well as company and departmental policies regarding the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Must have a strong working knowledge of Opera P.O.S. system in order to create and present clean and correct checks to the guest contact at the conclusion of a function.
- Schedules catering service personnel to ensure proper staffing levels are present to deliver excellent service. Aids and assists wherever needed when catering business warrants it.
- Double-checks the particulars of each event and reviews additional specifics with the Director of F&B, Banquet Director, Dir. Of Catering and Conf. Services & Banquet Chef as well as the group contact.
- The Captain will also observe each staff member for timeliness, proper uniform and proper grooming. The Captain has the right and will be expected to remove any staff member from a shift who may be in violation of these standards. Ensures proper maintenance, storage and care is exhibited by all employees toward equipment furnished by Hotel Valley Ho.
- Conducts pre-service meetings. Explains the nature of the group (in-house, local etc.), specific timing details, whether there will be a presentation or awards ceremony and how this may affect service flow. Is prepared to answer questions from the staff in regards to the function.
- Assigns all tables and set-up duties, who is tray passing hors d’oeuvres or serving cocktails.
- Assembles teams and will assign servers and runners according to pairings.
- Assists with the service of the function, setting the pace of service and ensures staff is adhering to all Hotel Valley Ho standards of service.
- May be required to assist in room set-up and breakdown. Must be able to lift heavy tables up to 70 lbs. and drive a van.
- Responsible for ordering, receiving and the storage of all banquet linen. Ensures that guest requests are addressed in a professional, timely manner.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Director of F&B, Director of Banquets, and the Director of Catering and Conference Services.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
- Must be extremely organized; able to expedite multiple orders completely and correctly and detailed orientated.
- Previous food and beverage experience required.
- Knowledge of appropriate table settings and service ware.
- Ability to remember, recite and promote the variety of menu items.
- Ability to transport up to 50 lbs. though a crowded room on a continuous basis throughout the shift.
- Good communication essential. Relay guest complaints and comments to supervisor.
- Must be motivated and a self-starter. Take the initiative to identify and undertake projects during slow periods.
- Ability to lift moderate weights and remain on feet for prolonged period of time.
- Ability to handle hot plates and equipment.
- Pleasant personality to effectively deal with guests; questions and service, and to contribute to the overall atmosphere of teamwork with fellow employees.
- Strong attention to detail a must.
- Ability to listen effectively, to speak and write English clearly.
- Has a sincere desire to provide the utmost in guest service.
- Must adhere to practices of occupational safety and health including wearing personal protective equipment when required.
- Must be able to work in an area with high noise levels (music, guest conversations), and still maintain guest service.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extreme temperatures
- Possess excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to identify, address and resolve conflict.
- Maintain good safety habits and report unsafe or hazardous conditions to Security.
- Promote excellent guest.