Barback-Hotel Valley Ho
This position contributes to Hotel Valley Ho’s success by providing guests with high quality, consistent liquor product, served in a personable, courteous and professional manner. Ensuring that the highest quality standards are met for guest service, and working within the framework of the food and beverage service team.
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Be thoroughly familiar with all standards of proper service etiquette and will adhere to these standards throughout guest service. Sales of food are an important component of the job. Food should be suggested to every guest.
- Be aware of all local liquor laws as well as company and departmental policies regarding consumption of alcoholic beverages. Must have completed Alcohol Training Program.
- Answers menu questions posed by guests.
- Maintains knowledge of beverages and any food offerings or special menu items offered.
- Provides attentive, friendly and professional service to internal and external guests while communicating in a positive, respectful manner.
- Maintains sanitation, health and safety standards.
- Performs proper bar top maintenance and busses as needed.
- Will know all drink recipes including garnish, glassware to be used and specific service, and will consistently use these recipes during production.
- Be familiar with requisitioning, receiving, rotation and stocking procedures of all beverage items.
- Be familiar with emergency safety measures including the Heimlich maneuver and fire evacuation procedures.
- Will sign out bar keys from security. The keys will remain on the person at all times during shift. Bar is never to be left unlocked and unattended.
- Review bartender production stations to ensure they are completely stocked for quick and efficient service to the guests, waiters and cocktail servers.
- Will "gas" all open wines and put away in proper storage. Date all open wine bottles.
- Will clean entire bar area thoroughly; drain sinks, wipe dry and sanitize.
- Will melt ice in bins, wipe dry and sanitize.
- Will restock backup liquor and wine and complete requisition for sodas, mixers, and beer.
- Will lock up all cabinets & storeroom. Ensure that cigar cabinet is locked and organized.
- Bring any remaining dirty plates and linen to kitchen. Make sure linen is deposited in correct bins. Pick up any bar glasses from dish station and return to bar.
- Fill all ice bins from ice throughout service.
- Set up glass washer with appropriate detergents and sanitizing solutions. Requisition and stock cleaning chemicals as needed.
- Will inform ZuZu manager of any problems with beer, soda, or liquor dispensing systems.
- Will maintain the bar area in a neat and clean manner throughout service.
- Perform post service duties in bar. Complete daily and weekly designated cleaning duties.
- Return and sign in bar keys at security.
- Work special group functions as required.
- Perform special duties as requested by the food and beverage supervisors.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and supplemental training sessions including on premise educational programs, wine tastings and daily pre-service meetings.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Strong working knowledge of micros ordering system and other check processing procedures.
- Ability to lift and quickly transport heavy trays up to 75 lbs. on slippery surfaces.
- Must be able to carry cocktail tray with one hand and distribute cocktails with the second hand -- cocktail tray could weigh up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to listen effectively, to speak and write English clearly.
- Self-motivated, organized, fast and even-tempered.
- Strong attention to detail a must.
- Pleasant personality to effectively deal with guests; questions and service, and to contribute to the overall atmosphere of teamwork with fellow employees.
- Ability to quickly deliver quality product while under pressure.
- Requires walking up a footstool to obtain and store liquor bottles in overhead cabinets, extending arms, bending and stooping to reach materials.
- Must be able to bend down repeatedly to store and obtain beverages from coolers.
- Must be able to operate glass washing machine.
- Must be able to work in an area with high noise levels (music, guest conversations), and still maintain guest service.
- Must be able to work outdoors in extreme temperatures
- Possess excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to identify, address and resolve conflict.
- Maintain good safety habits and report unsafe or hazardous conditions to Security.
- Promote excellent guest.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. Equivalent
Current Food Handler’s Card.
Related Work Experience
Previous food and beverage experience required.
Previous bartender experience with working wine and spirits knowledge.
Experience with hospitality and customer service required.