Director of Engineering
Benchmark’s company culture is central to our management philosophy. The company’s stated purpose is "to provide an entrepreneurial environment where determined people dare to create, share, and build futures.
To be the "benchmark" by which all others are judged takes passion, courage, and dedication. We invite you to explore our extraordinary offering of unique opportunities, all with a common goal of providing an unforgettable journey.
Job Description Summary:The Director of Engineering contributes to Hotel Valley Ho’s success by maintaining, in working order, the entirety of all resort facilities, including building structures, casitas, all mechanical, electrical, HVAC systems, and related equipment in accordance with energy conservation and preventative maintenance. Ensure the upkeep of guest areas to maintain an attractive resort. Manage all rehabilitation, expansion, and special projects. Ensure the safety and comfort of guests and associates.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Oversee administrative functions and daily operations of the Engineering, Grounds & Security Departments.
- Oversee key projects, processes, and performance reports, data, and analysis.
- Manage department spending within budgetary constraints.
- Coordinate projects with outside contractors and other resort departments.
- Delegate assignments to the Chief Engineer, as needed.
- Select, develop, train and supervise staff; managing both grounds and engineering staff.
- Develop, determine and implement policies, procedures, and programs.
- Forecast payroll and expenditure budget for the following year.
- Review and analyze proposals submitted, to determine if benefits derived and if possible applications justify expenditures.
- Develop life cycle analysis and manage Capital Projects planning.
- Negotiate contracts with consulting firms to perform research, applicable studies, or support.
- Uphold and enforce company policies.
- Represent company and conduct business in a manner that upholds the resort’s interest and image.
- Deal effectively with guests and workplace colleagues from a variety of cultures.
- Create a work environment that is motivating to employees
- Implement all guidelines and procedures as established in the employee handbook.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the General Manager
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Excellent knowledge of electrical systems, components, and devices, HVAC systems, mechanical systems, and the maintenance and repair of all.
- Excellent knowledge of public construction and building systems; all related permits, licensing new and existing codes pertaining to public building and fire safety.
- Excellent English verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Skilled in the proper and safe use of all tools, equipment, materials, chemicals, and products.
- Ability to stand and walk throughout the entire shift.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach and crouch for materials.
- Ability to handle difficult situations and guest complaints in a professional, courteous manner.
- Ability to continually promote teamwork and superior guest satisfaction.
- Ability to remain informed on state-of-the-art developments affecting the safe and effective operation of the building facility.
- Ability to positively communicate and instruct employees offering assistance in areas where they lack knowledge, skills, or experience.
- Able to rephrase, or translate fairly technical information into layman terms.
- Ability to identify, address and resolve conflict.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable law.
- Screen and interview potential candidates for hire.
- Train, supervise, and counsel department staff and outside contractors.
- Assign and verify completion of all routine maintenance on public areas, meeting rooms, outlets, and back of the house spaces.
- Assign and verify completion of all repairs, replacement, and renovations projects to offices and employee work areas.
- Immediately available to report to the resort in the event of any resort emergency which necessitates his/her presence such as but not limited to, fires, power or other equipment failures, floods, lightning, or other disasters of similar nature and magnitude.
- Executes emergency procedures in accordance with hotel standards
- Must be able to work flexible hours to include all shifts, weekends, and holidays