Sous Chef (Banquets) - Hotel Valley Ho
Come be a part of something bigger!
Benchmark Hospitality is a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to Medical and Dental insurance to fit your needs
- Benchmark University (You can grow both personally and professionally through on-line webinars and self-study courses)
- 401K match (Let us help you build your financial future)
- Companywide Hotel Room Discounts (Who doesn’t love to get away)
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you)
- Employee family events (bring the kids!)
- Partnerships and discounts with major retailers such as AT&T, Verizon and Dish to name a few
- Many more, please inquire for more details
This position contributes to the Hotel Valley Ho's success by assisting the Executive Chef with the culinary operations and food quality for all banquet functions. The Banquet Sous Chef ensures all foodservice meets the standards as outlined by the guests, conference service manager, Banquet Chef, and Executive Chef. Responsible for the food production and supervision of all banquet culinary personnel.
What you will have an opportunity to do:
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Lead by example in areas of culinary technique and proactive hospitality skills.
- Assist whenever or wherever needed to assure timely, smooth, quality service.
- Order, receive, and store products, and ensure all specifications are met.
- Responsible for the overall cleanliness and organization of the kitchen.
- Maintain consistency of product and style with great attention to food quality, taste, and presentation.
- Help maintain a safe and sanitary work environment in accordance with Arizona Health and Safety codes.
- Aid in the concept, creativity, revision, and implementation of all menus including costing, specifications, and standards.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that enables getting along with guests, vendors, co-workers, and management.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization policies and applicable law.
- Ensure all stations are properly staffed.
- Supervise and schedule all kitchen staff as it relates to budget and business levels.
- Monitor kitchen payroll, and take an active role in ordering products and other administrative tasks.
- Effectively recommend as to hiring, promotions, wage adjustments, disciplinary actions, including terminations.
- Responsible for organization, maintenance, and cleanliness of all food preparation areas within their area to facilitate efficient production and exceed health code standards.
- Must plan ahead, creatively schedule and delegate in order to produce the highest quality food, while considering optimum flow and refills to keep waste at a minimum on a timely basis.
- Must be flexible concerning time, numbers, and menu changes, always projecting a positive attitude. To embrace and support Hotel Valley Ho guidelines and procedures.
- Effectively conducts meetings with own staff on a regular basis. Attends and takes an active role in B.E.O. meetings, weekly F&B Meetings, and all Mid-Managers meetings. Encourages and schedules staff to attend all company-sponsored events.
- Conduct performance appraisals as necessary; perform 90 day and annual evaluation of staff.
- Effectively coach and counsel (when appropriate) providing continued staff development.
- Maintain high employee morale and a good reliable staff; motivate and train staff.
- Maintain good safety habits and report unsafe or hazardous conditions to Security.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Executive Chef.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Solid interpersonal, organizational, and multi-tasking skills. Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be responsible, insightful, organized, self-motivated, and able to work flexible schedules.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Flexible and long hours may be required on occasion.
- Required to stand for long periods of time in one area near hot equipment (ovens, burners, etc.).
- Good communication skills, able to manage and motivate people.
- Promote excellent guest relations.
- Maintain a high level of work quality and quantity per resort standards.
- At all times maintain the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and a positive attitude.
What are we looking for?
- The Sous Chef would ideally be a college graduate in the culinary arts.
- Be familiar with basic and advance cooking method.
- Must be able to work long hours including weekends and holidays.
- Have a 3+ years’ experience as a cook in a high volume professional kitchen
- Must have basic allergy knowledge
- Must have full knowledge of correct cooking temperatures of all vegetables and proteins, must be able to provide cutting tools needed to perform job as well as a calibrated food grade thermometer.
- Must have full knowledge of the state’s health codes as well as the eco sure food safety and health report
- Active Food handler’s certification
- Requires strong organizational skills
- Must be able to work independently
- Able to be on your feet for long periods of time
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds
- At least 21 years of age
- Have a desire to exceed expectations
- An energetic personality