Sous Chef-Hotel Valley Ho
JOB SUMMARY _______
This position contributes to Hotel Valley Ho’s success by supervising the culinary operations and food quality. The Sous Chef is expected to be a ‘hands-on’ leader maintaining the highest standards of quality to our guests, overseeing training, scheduling and motivating culinary team in order to cook and present food according to the resort’s standard recipes to create high quality dishes.
JOB FUNCTIONS _______
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen.
- Select, train and supervise kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items.
- Ensure proper receiving, storage, and rotation of food products so as to comply with Health Department regulations.
- Adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
- Supervise daily cleaning of walk-in and reach-in for safety reasons.
- Report any equipment needing repair to the Chef and engineering for service.
- Perform other duties as requested such as, VIP parties and staff meetings.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that enables getting along with guests, vendors, co-workers, and management.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization policies and applicable law.
- Ensure all stations are properly staffed while keeping payroll costs in line with business levels.
- Supervise, train, and motivate all kitchen staff.
- Prepare schedules, monitor kitchen payroll, and take an active role in recruiting, ordering product, and other administrative tasks.
- Maintain high employee morale and a good reliable staff by motivating and training.
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the service staff, and perpetuate a spirit of teamwork between the kitchen and service staff.
- Ensure that all employees maintain high standards of dress and personal hygiene.
- Ensure proper maintenance and care is exhibited by all employees toward equipment.
- Effectively recommend as to hiring, promotions, wage adjustments, disciplinary actions, including terminations.
- Conduct performance appraisals as necessary; perform 90 day and annual evaluation of staff.
- Effectively coach and counsel (when appropriate) providing continued staff development.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Executive Chef.
JOB REQUIREMENTS _______
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Requires extending arms, bending and stooping to reach materials.
- Ability to work on slippery surfaces, and work well under pressure.
- Required to stand for long periods of time in one area near hot equipment (ovens, burners, etc.).
- Ability to lift 100 lbs. and carry 50 lbs.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Must be experienced in the operation of all commercial kitchen equipment.
- Must work well with all other departments.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant disposition and function efficiently in high stress work environment. Solid interpersonal, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to listen effectively, to speak and write English clearly.
- Good communication skills; able to manage and motivate people.
- Promote excellent guest relations.
- Maintain a high level of work quality and quantity per resort standards.
- At all times maintain the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and a positive attitude.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. Equivalent.
Prefer Culinary Degree.
Current Food Handler’s Card.
Related Work Experience
Must have 1-3 years’ experience in a kitchen management position.
Experience with hospitality and customer service required.