Sous Chef (PM) -Hotel Valley Ho
Come be a part of something bigger!
Benchmark Hospitality is a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to Medical and Dental insurance to fit your needs
- Benchmark University (You can grow both personally and professionally through on-line webinars and self-study courses)
- 401K match (Let us help you build your financial future)
- Companywide Hotel Room Discounts (Who doesn’t love to get away)
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you)
- Employee family events (bring the kids!)
- Partnerships and discounts with major retailers such as AT&T, Verizon and Dish to name a few
- Many more, please inquire for more details
This position contributes to Hotel Valley Ho’s success by supervising the culinary operations and food quality. The Sous Chef is expected to be a ‘hands-on’ leader maintaining the highest standards of quality to our guests, overseeing training, scheduling, and motivating the culinary team in order to cook and present food according to the resort’s standard recipes to create high-quality dishes.
What you will have an opportunity to do:
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen.
- Select, train and supervise kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items.
- Ensure proper receiving, storage, and rotation of food products so as to comply with Health Department regulations.
- Adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
- Supervise daily cleaning of walk-in and reach-in for safety reasons.
- Report any equipment needing repair to the Chef and engineering for service.
- Perform other duties as requested such as VIP parties and staff meetings.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that enables getting along with guests, vendors, co-workers, and management.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization policies and applicable law.
- Ensure all stations are properly staffed while keeping payroll costs in line with business levels.
- Supervise, train, and motivate all kitchen staff.
- Prepare schedules, monitor kitchen payroll, and take an active role in recruiting, ordering products, and other administrative tasks.
- Maintain high employee morale and a good reliable staff by motivating and training.
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the service staff, and perpetuate a spirit of teamwork between the kitchen and service staff.
- Ensure that all employees maintain high standards of dress and personal hygiene.
- Ensure proper maintenance and care are exhibited by all employees toward equipment.
- Effectively recommend hiring, promotions, wage adjustments, disciplinary actions, including terminations.
- Conduct performance appraisals as necessary; perform 90 day and annual evaluation of staff.
- Effectively coach and counsel (when appropriate) providing continued staff development.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Executive Chef.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Requires extending arms, bending, and stooping to reach materials.
- Ability to work on slippery surfaces, and work well under pressure.
- Required to stand for long periods of time in one area near hot equipment (ovens, burners, etc.).
- Ability to lift 100 lbs. and carry 50 lbs.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes, and proper preparation.
- Must be experienced in the operation of all commercial kitchen equipment.
- Must work well with all other departments.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant disposition and function efficiently in a high-stress work environment. Solid interpersonal, organizational, and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Ability to listen effectively, to speak, and write English clearly.
- Good communication skills; able to manage and motivate people.
- Promote excellent guest relations.
- Maintain a high level of work quality and quantity per resort standards.
- At all times maintain the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and a positive attitude.
What are we looking for?